November 5, 2010

James Freud- RIP







At the young age of 51, James Freud has left the stage, and gone on to the next realm... So sad to lose such talent at a young age-- RIP James.

The MODELS were one of my very fav. bands of the 80s-- I first found out about them during my 2 month travels in Oz back in '85. They were in their prime back then... For some reason, they never made it to America, but they were really BIG in Australia...
Here's a little bio on James Freud, the talented singer of the Models:
Biography

"After the Models disbanded and his first solo album fizzled in the charts, James Freud linked up with Mental As Anything's Martin Plaza and formed the dance-oriented Beatfish. This duo's love for soul and R&B surprised fans of the Models and the Mentals, sounding unlike anything either of the artists had ever done before. Their self-titled debut was released in Australia in 1991 (on RCA) and featured some fine dance songs ("All Around The World", "Wheels Of Love") but most of it was faceless R&B by a couple of white guys from Australia. After one more single, a great cover of the Youngbloods' "Get Together", Plaza returned to his solo career (and the Mentals) while Freud has kept a low profile ever since. ~ Steve "Spaz" Schnee, Rovi"
*Taken from the internet.

9 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I have never heard of James Freud, or the band although my sister-in-law lives in Ozz. I have to admit to being a 60's fan. The video you have put on it good, so yes it is sad that he is no longer around. RIP. Diane

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

I had the biggest crush on this guy as a teenager - my favourite Models song was 'Out of mind, out of sight'. Still love it. Love this one too, did you know that Kate Ceberano sings the backing vocals? First time Ive seen the video though, what's with the shooting himself in the head? A bit disturbing!

From what I remember he lived life pretty hard - loved (alot of) drink, which may have contributed to such an early death. Very sad.

Leesa said...

Thanks Diane...

They were a really big group when I was in Oz... but I was sad they didn't make it in America- like INXS and Men at Work, Olivia N-J and other big Aussie musicians...

Kristy- Thanks for commenting here... My FAV song by them is "Out of Mind Out of Sight," TOO!!!
It didn't know about Kate Ceberano-- I actually don't know who she is but I'll look her up now that you mentioned it...
I'll go back and check the video as I don't remember.
He DID live pretty hard-- I saw that in the articles about him.. SAD SAD SAD! Kinda reminds me of Keith Richards ... I'm SURE that helped contribute to his early death. I honestly don't know how some people can abuse their body so much and keep on living as long as they do!
It's pretty sad...
Take care, Leesa

Cathy said...

I am an Aussie, and the news that James Freud had died came as a real shock. One of my favourite songs of 'The Models' was 'Out of sight, out of mind'. Very sad...

Leesa said...

Hi Cathy and thanks for visiting my blog! Shocking news, I agree! Very sad and what a loss to the music world.. I really loved the Models... esp. the song- "Out of Mind, Out of Sight!" My fav!!!!

Penny said...

Yep its really sad. I remember dancing around my parents' lounge room to Modern Girl by James Freud when I was about 15 and was always a big fan of the Models so it was very cool when he joined them and it certainly gave them a different sound. I'd forgotten that he teamed up with Martin Plaza for a while afterwards, so thanks for the bio Leesa! The Models were huge in Oz in 1984/1985. I recently found an old diary I wrote from that time and I saw them about 6 times in the space of a year - ah, the aussie band scene was so good then!

Leesa said...

Hey Penny-- I was only 19 when I traveled around Oz in 85- and I can say one thing- The Models were on the radio ALLLLL the time- it was "Out of Mind Out of Sight," and "Barbados" that were the popular songs... Anyhow- that is when I first heard of them... and though I didn't follow their career/music once I got back to the States- I did keep listening to the cassette I bought in Oz-- for many years.. Don't know why they didn't make it big in the U.S. or even why they didn't GET to the U.S. I KNOW they would have been a HIT - like INXS... Seriously! Maybe even more popular-- INXS was one of my FAV 80s bands and heard them perform live twice.. Sooo sad about Michael H., too.. Tragic!!
I'm glad we both share a love for the music of the Models.. YAY! But, so sad that he's gone now.. Tragic!

Julie said...

This was sad, but not really a shock. He had so much help and people there for him, but till could not make it. R&R is a tough form of life, I suspect.

Leesa thank you for following up Keith's review and I am pleased you enjoyed the jacaranda trees on my post today.

Leesa said...

Julie.. A reall shame for someone with such talent to depart life so early on... Sad.. You're right about R&R being tough- like acting, too.. Such a shame..
We've lost a lot of good ones from drugs...