April 18, 2010

Sending love and prayers...

My thoughts and prayers go out to my dear friend, her husband and the family who just lost their beloved one last night. I know that losing a parent is one of the hardest things we go through in life, and I wanted to share this poem that we got from Hospice at the time of my mom's passing. It's a very beautiful poem and though it's sad, it gives a peaceful way to think of our beloved's passing on to another realm..... My deepest sympathies.

I am standing upon the seashore.

A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.

She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!"

"Gone where?"

Gone from my sight. That is all.
She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her.
And just at the moment when someone at my side says:

"There, she is gone!" there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout:

"Here she comes!"

And that is dying.

Author unknown

12 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Beautiful words. Diane

Leesa said...

Diane,

Every time I read this poem, it brings tears to my eyes... Beautiful words meant to give love and comfort during a difficult time...

Lisa Petrarca said...

Oh I'm so sorry for your friends loss. I will definitely keep them in my prayers. I love that poem!

When my brother passed away at 21 from a car accident, someone read that same poem...it's so touching.

LindyLouMac said...

Moving words.

PRETTY IN PARIS said...

Thanks Leesa, I'm thinking of Barbara and Didier too. Sending you lots of love, BB

Jennifer K said...

That is a lovely poem and I find it comforting. It's so difficult to lose someone and my heart goes out to your friend.

Carolyn said...

Lovely thought, Leesa.

If and when you see this wonderful person, please give her a big hug from us.

C&C

++MIRA++ said...

so sorry for ur friend. my husbands family just lost some one too. its hard.

Vagabonde said...

I did not know this poem. It is very beautiful and I copied it. I am sorry for the loss of your friend – it is always sad when we lose a loved one.

Leesa said...

Hi Everyone...

Thanks so much for your thoughts... I'll let me friend know... She also reads my blog and some of you know her, too...
She'll appreciate the love and support...

Take care,
Leesa

Barbara said...

Hi to Leesa & everyone,

A very heartfelt Thank you & Merci to Leesa and to everyone who took the time to send your sympathy.

Day by day and with friends it is less heavy to carry such loss.

XXXX

Leesa said...

Barbara,

When we go through the loss of a loved one, it's such a difficult time. It's a comfort to know that others are thinking of us and sending their love, prayers, and support....
I know the "process" of grieving is a hard one to go through and the only thing that really seems to mend it a bit more, is time... Take all the time you need to mourn and I know you will also take the time to celebrate Andre's life... He was so blessed to have you and Didier in it.
Thinking of you.... Leese