January 5, 2010

Happy Epiphany!!




This is the original one I made on Sunday - the "practice run!"


I'm making more galettes des rois... mini ones right now... Here are some pictures of the process....











As you can see below... I put to much filling inside so some of them kind of... ummm... "puffed over!
Out of the oven...






**Interesting SIDE NOTE: In France, a fève is NEVER placed in the President's galette des rois so that there is never the danger of the president finding the fève in his slice of galette and thus, becoming the "King." I never knew that but it was on tv last night when they showed the President's "KING"-sized galette des rois... France is a Republique not a Royaume!!!

6 comments:

Nadege said...

Leesa, the frozen Phitiviers from Trader Joe's have to be cooked in the oven for 20 or 30 mn until they are golden and flaky. They are not bad but no feve inside and they are not as good as the fresh ones in France but it is nice to be able to celebrate too, even in sunny, 77 F LA.

au soleil levant said...

How funny! Oh how I miss the galette des rois! The bakeries in my town last year kept making mini ones all during the month of January. I may have indulged a few times, or you know, maybe at least once every weekend :)

Leesa said...

Nadege,

I'm glad they are cookable. I can't imagine what it would be like to buy a frozen one and thaw it out to eat.. Berrk... Jealous of the weather there and dreamt about San Diego and the beach last night.. Dreamt I was THERE!!!

Mira...
How cool!! Wish I could send you one, then! I have WAY too many now!!

Take care,
Leese

Susu Paris Chic said...

You know Leesa,

My husband just gets absolutely crazy over the Galettes de rois, but only the ones with Frangipane marzipan filling. So much so that he'll have about a dozen over the month of January. I wonder if I could order one from your wonderful lil' Princess Bakery? That would be the best - now he just has to buy his from the local hypermarket. This gal is not a baker...

PRETTY IN PARIS said...

Hey Girl,
These are fantastic like always!
Way to go, I'm going to try and make a galette now!
Bisous,
BB

Leesa said...

Hey Susu...

It's SUPER easy to make.... I can send you the recipe!

Brigitte...

Thanks! I just LOVE baking, as you know!