January 26, 2009

Le Sud-Ouest balayé par la pire tempête depuis 10 ans




The worst storm in 10 years just hit the south of France over the weekend.  Here in the Paris region, we had high winds and were on Alerte Orange.  Over the weekend, the southern part of France was on the highest Alert- RED and suffered much damage as a result of cyclone speed winds!  This is the worst storm seen since the  tempête in 1999! Hundreds of thousands of trees were uprooted as a result of the high winds. Four people reported dead, many injured, and about 1. 7 million homes lost their electricity. Roads were blocked with fallen trees and debris was everywhere.

*Photos taken off the internet.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Heya Leesa! Yeah that storm gave me a scare. It woke me up at 4 am blowing our kitchen window open. I closed the shutters and hoped the magnolia tree wouldnt fall on us. When I walked to the store today I couldnt believe the amount of treesm linbs, fences and debris strewn about. Scary stuff!

Diane said...

sorry for the typos, that should have read *trees, limbs....*

Leesa said...

Hi Diane-- Glad you guys were okay, too.... Don't worry about typos... I do them ALL the time now!!
Take care and I hope you are feeling a lot better now... I'm still working on it... Take care, Leesa

Andrea said...

Honestly, if I didn't read your blog, I don't think I'd have a clue about what's going on in France :)

Ron said...

WOOOOOOOW!

xo

Tassy said...

OMG! sorry to hear this but pleased to know you are safe.It reminds me of cyclones in mauritius! I didnt know it was that bad!