January 1, 2009

Insurance/sminsurance!!

Why should one have health insurance if they call you up to tell you they are no longer going to pay for your insulin which is over $500 per month?  My dad just told me his health insurance company told him they were no longer going to cover the cost of his insulin nor for the cost of his asthma inhaler.  Man, that sucks!! My dad is over 70 years old and retired... He doesn't make a lot of money... and he is diabetic and asthmatic.  I told him that would NEVER happen here in France... I can only imagine how many people these insurance companies are calling and suddenly announcing the are no longer going to cover certain meds... Must be due to the economic crisis?!! You tell me your thoughts... 

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

So sorry for your dad's situation.

My thoughts are: I'm glad I live in Australia.

Take care and good luck to your dad.

Starman said...

This is so typically American. The insurance (drug, medical) companies rip you off for years and when it comes time for them to meet their obligations, they stick it to you. The real question is how much longer will Americans stand for this before demanding free health care for all?

Ron said...

Hi Leesa!

This is WHY I think the US should go socialized medicine, like in Canada!!!!

The insurance here is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Listen, when you have a minute...stop by my blog, I have a little something for you!

XO

Frou Frou said...

That is sick...I think US health care should be nationalised because when it is like this, the focus is not primarily on the profit only and only...
So yes, why have it then...?

Rochelle said...

That's crazy. Instead of people paying for their insurance every year they should just hide the extra money under a mattress to use when they do get sick because the frigging insurance company isn't going to pay for it. Makes me so angry.

Leesa said...

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for all your comments! I am glad to be living here in France because of great health care... I had really good health care in the U.S., too.. because of my job.. But, when I didn't have it... it was a bitch!!!
I think universal healthcare is the way to go.. Better to spend money on health then on war...

Starman said...

Oh...on the bright side, he can change insurance providers. I assume he's on Medicare, so it really doesn't matter too much which one he chooses, they all cost the same. On Medicare, we pay $90 per month from our Social Security which covers the supplemental insurance that pays most of what Medicare doesn't cover.

Leesa said...

Starman...

Gee, I never thought about Medicare... but yeh.. since he's no longer working... I'm going to ask him about it, out of curiousity. Thanks for the info... I'll let him know.