December 22, 2008

Steve "Biano" Spencer, Brazil Promotions, will be missed.


I got an email last night from a friend in San Diego saying that one of our friends had just passed away...
I would like to dedicate this post to my friend of many, many years... Steve "Biano" Spencer. Steve passed away on Dec. 15, 2008 due to complications of pulmonary fibrosis. He just turned 60 in October. I would like to share an email I received from him just after his b-day in Ocotober.

Alo Leesa,
So good to hear from you….Nunca Mais Brasilian nights at Sevilla, they are part of history my friend. We are working on a Brasilian night in the north county, I will keep you posted….
I reached a mile stone last week, turned 60, can you believe it? Some of the best times spent in San Diego, you were such a big part of, Carnaval, Sevilla and especially Street Scene….
Christine is doing great, I have had some health issues and after 37 years, retired from my job, working to get my health back
Abracos
Steve was someone who was very present in the Brasilian community. He spent years as a promoter in San Diego for a wide variety of Brasilian events- including Carnaval, concerts, San Diego St. Scene, and many others. He had a very strong love and interest in Brasil, it's culture, people and of course.. music! He was affectionately know as "Biano," meaning, a person from Bahia. His website promoting the beautiful country of Brasil is BRAZIL PROMOTIONS
All who know Steve were immediately touched by his outgoing, warm and very friendly personality. He will be greatly missed by all know knew him. I am deeply saddened to lose a friend such as Steve. He was truly a ray of sunshine. Rest In Peace, Steve. I'm sure you're dancing the Samba up in the sky!

Photos courtesy of Billy Arqauimimo, taken from the article, Steve Spencer, A Big Brazilian Heart (Dec. 16. 2008) @ SambaFun


8 comments:

Carla Leininger said...

I can't believe Steve is gone. I'm scheduled to arrrive in San Diego on Jan 16th and was looking forward to meeting him in person. We had been exchanging music information as I promote Brazilian culture in Pittsburgh, PA.
This is very sad.... what a great loss...

Carla

Barbara said...

Hi Leesa,
My sincere sympathy to all of Steve's friends.

Big hugs to you Leesa
XXX

La Belette Rouge said...

I am so sorry to hear of this loss. My sincerest condolences to all who loved him.
Big hug.xoxo

Leesa said...

Carla, Barbara, and LBR,

Thanks so much for your sympathies.... It's such a shock to lose someone you know... I didn't realize he was that sick... He will be greatly missed...

Anonymous said...

I was so sad to see the news about Steve - had no idea he was sick! I'd been trying since last Spring to get him to my house to meet some other "brasileristas" - and to compare his Oklahoma family histories with that of my family. Steve was SUCH a beautiful person... Love and sympathy to all his dear ones, friends and family. Frieda of Kenya - if you're reading this, please know that Steve spoke often and lovingly of you!) So sorry that I delayed on the long-planned comida mineira.... STEVE, que voce descanse em paz com Yemanaja. Love, Judy Harper

Leesa said...

Judy-- Thanks so much for leaving your comment here... Steve is very dearly missed by all, that's for sure... I too, had no idea that he was that sick, only that he had retired from his job and was going to work on his health... I didn't know it was that serious... So sad... A kind fellow.... The kind of person that you like right away...
Thanks again for stopping by...
Take care,
Leesa

AYWalton said...

Hello,

I am reading this in complete shock and sadness!

I am the genealogist that compiled much of the Genealogy for him on his Oklahoma Freedman family. I met him 2 summers ago, and traveled with him and his cousin Dee(on the Baines side) to Vinita, Oklahoma, where his family used to live many decades ago.

Steve was a delight to spend time with, and I was looking forward to expanding some of the family history data with him. What a kind gentle soul. May he rest in peace and now that he walks with the ancetors, may he smile upon us and lead us along new paths from Brazil to other places unknown.

God Bless you Steve!

-Angela Y. Walton-Raji
(AngelaW859@aol.com)

Chris Beard (cfbeard@aol.com) said...

Steve was like a big brother to me. I first met Steve in 1983, I was 15 years old. He befriended me at very difficult time in my life. My parents were going through a divorce and I moved to San Diego to live with my brother while my parents worked out the details of their divorce. Steve and I were chess players. I have many, many great memories of him. I couldn't have asked for a great friend. He had such uncommon valor and decency. We played together, we traveled together, we laughed together. Everytime I listen to Brazilian music I think of him. I miss him! I was there when he discovered Brazilian culture. He even borrowed my brand new, beloved D'Javan tape when it first came out! :)(listening to it now) God bless your soul and may you rest in peace. You are still loved and I will be forever grateful for what you did for scared little kid back in 1983.