October 10, 2008

I VOTED 2008!!



YAYYYYYY!!!  I VOTED!!!!  Not only DID I vote, but I mailed the ballot in yesterday at the poste! I have to honestly say to all of you... that this election has been and still is a very stressful one for me.. as I am sure it has been for many of you out there.  Not only are we facing such a huge economic/world crisis right now.. but the country (USA) has really gone to pot over the past 8 years (esp).  

I am liberal, but NOT too liberal- like I believe in pro-choice, gay rights/marriage, social programs/universal health care, affordable housing prices/rent... and esp. ANTI-WAR, etc. You get the point.  I have always been a Dem. and a proud one at that.  

So, with all that being said, and having followed a lot (but not as much as if I were living in the U.S.) on the news online and here in France, I am really scared at the idea of having another 4 years of a Repub. president!  We need someone who is going to really solve a lot of the major issures.  The U.S. used to be such a great world power/influence but it has tumbled downward and keeps going down and down and down... 

I believe that when Clinton was Prez., we (Americans) were better liked around the world by different countries and we didn't have the HORRIBLE reputation around the world as we do now!! It's NOT ONLY embarrassing --- it's DISGRACEFUL!!!  
I know this is all very negative, but to me, it's all very true!  I have traveled extensively in my lifetime and the basic stereotypes back when I traveled were ones that people concocted from American tv series - now people are more Anti-American because of what the US govt. has done internationally.  YIKKEES!!!

So, back to my original thought- I went to the poste to mail off my absentee ballot yesterday.  While waiting in line (forever), I got all teary-eyed... I started thinking about everything and wishing that we could already have our new President (Obama) and have things be on the road to recovery/healing... 

I hurt inside, it pains me greatly to still worry about WHO is going to win the Election because I know that if McCain wills, it will mean despair... I am keeping all of my toes/fingers crossed, saying prayers, and sending out good energy to the universe that we will have a change that will produce CHANGE in a positive direction....
WE SOOOOO NEED it!!!!

10 comments:

Rochelle said...

I really, really, really hope that Obama will win. I have a good feeling about it as well. Honestly if he doesn't win, I'm not sure the US will recover from it's problems.

I agree that during the Clinton years the US had a much better image. When everyone went ballistic about the Monica Lewinksy thing I think that was a turning point in loss of respect for Americans because it was just so silly.

Anonymous said...

I hope too...Another presidency with that bunch of Republican ... (Have to stop here...otherwise I would get very mad:) I just DON'T UNDERSTAND why this is an issue - why it is clear - the outcome of the election...
linda

Anonymous said...

why the outcome of the election is not clear (I wanted to say..:)

Leesa said...

Hi Rochelle...


I think EVERYONE I know is hoping the same thing---
The thing with Clinton WAS silly.. it was just scandalized to get him out of office.. Remember, he ALMOST got impeached... Whereas madman Bush got away with LIES, LIES and more LIES.. I don't know how he can sleep at night!!!

Linda,

Hi---- I know, I know.. I don't think I'll piss off any of my audience here in saying this... but... the American public are a bunch of stupid idiots-- Well, the ones who vote republican, at any rate.. Who in their RIGHT mind would vote republican in the US... oh yeh.. all the conservative, rich ones.... We're in a sorry state over there.. I'm just thankful that I now live in France... but America is 'still' my country... I feel for it and the people...

Penny said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I wish I could vote for Obama too!

:)

David said...

Be careful all of you (by "all of you" I mean Americans that love Obama).
Even if I want Obama as President of the US as much as any other Frenchman, I feel like too many Americans have unrealistic expectations from him.

What I mean by that, is that even if we agree that President McCain (and two years later President Palin) would precipitate the Fall of the American Empire even faster, the American Empire is falling, has been falling for a while (the current crisis is just a symptom of that, no more) and won't stop falling.
All President Obama can do is damage control.
Still, if he can fix America's reputation in the world (ans mostly the Muslim world) I'll think he has done his job.

Leesa said...

Thanks for the support, Penny...

Hi David...

I don't really know anyone that LOVEEEEESSSS Obama... And I can say about 99.9999999 % of my American friends here and in the Sates are democrats, as well! I think that moreover, we are REALLY REALLY fed up with the puppet regime of Bush and all of the damage "he" has caused to America.. both internationally and domestically... Keep in mind the TERRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE way in which he handled the whole Katrina catastrophe!
I was always very disgusted that he has been in power for 8 years.. esp. after cheating in Florida with the chads.. I think Gore should have won the election... It was a crime that Bush won the second time around! So, when you say, be careful... I'm not really sure what you mean, because I know that everyone I know is very worried about the state of the economy and what will happen when the new president takes over in January...
I'm actually just nervous about any possible attempts on Obama's life if he is elected as President...
Oh well.. we'll just have to wait and see.. Hopefully, the American people will "smarten up" for this election and vote Dem... My fingers are crossed....

David said...

I know all about the Bush era events. I was there for most of them.
By "be careful" I feel like too many people put too much hope in Obama, thinking he's gonna solve everything, save everything, restore America to its past grandeur, stop all the wars, etc, etc...
And these people are going to be disappointed.
That's all.

Leesa said...

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.... I personally "know" that Obama won't solve everything... the country is in SUCH a mess right now, it will be a real miracle if he is able to bring about some changes.. and a real blessing!

I'm not really sure WHAT exactly he can do to help bail out the U.S. but I a more thinking of the other issues we have that have been going on since Bush took office (on a more domestic level).
For example, putting money back into programs that Bush cut... and doing something more efficient with health care- which is pretty sad there compared to France... Though, with my teacher's insurance plan, I actually had a better deal than here in France!!!
Anyhow... other well-needed things for the U.S. - like a war on gangs on drugs.. .to put a halt to all of that sort of thing- and the crime that goes along with it... I know that Clinton tried to do some things and succeeded to a certain point..
But, I don't really think Bush gives a damn about it..
There are TONS of things INSIDE America that need to be worked on and "fixed." The war has cost a gazillion dollars -money that could have been spent on just these domestic issues back on U.S. ground... I am sooo against the war and always was.. and really felt from the beginning that it was
all just hype and proganda that we (the US public) were being fed in order to support the war (cause). It's all just a bunch of b.s. anyhow..
So, with ALL of that being said... I just hope that IF Obama wins, he is able to straighten out some of the problems and get the U.S. back on it's feet... I'm very realistic about the whole thing.. and even to the point where I don't even really believe the war will end.. In fact, they will most likely go into Afgan. which I am also totally against, too.. Oh well... At least I am living here in France.... I like that!!!
If anyone else would like to join in and put in their tow cent(ime)s, I would be interested to hear what you all have to say...

Betty C. said...

My ballot is going in the mail tomorrow -- I am so excited yet nervous at the same time!