May 24, 2008

FDA warns of harmful nipple cream!

And I thought the soaring prices of gasoline in the U.S. was one of their big problems.. Not to be taken lightly... this one is very serious and I am glad they caught it... Just read this on CNN.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Food and Drug Administration on Friday warned women not to use or purchase Mommy's Bliss Nipple Cream, marketed by MOM Enterprises Inc. of San Rafael, California.

The cream, promoted to nursing mothers to help soothe dry or cracked nipples, contains ingredients that may cause respiratory distress, vomiting and diarrhea in infants, the agency said. The potentially harmful ingredients in the cream are chlorphenesin and phenoxyethanol.
"FDA is particularly concerned that nursing infants are being unwittingly exposed by their mothers to this product with dangerous side effects," said Janet Woodcock, director of the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. "Additionally, these two ingredients may interact with one another to further compound and increase the risk of respiratory depression in nursing infants."
The company has stopped selling the cream. The FDA said consumers should stop using the cream and consult a doctor if they experience problems or believe that their infant may have experienced problems due to the product. Mothers whose children may have suffered adverse effects because of this product should contact the FDA's MedWatch at 800-332-1088.

It just goes to show you that their are so many harmful chemicals being sold on the open market and that the general public really has no inside knowledge if these products are potentially dangerous and harmful. Frankly, anything with chemicals that can be ingested easily by an invent should never have been allowed on the market... Is the FDA less strict now or what?

6 comments:

The Lehners in France said...

Leesa, this is terrible, the world is trying to combat cot death and linking it to repiratory problems, and there is a company selling cream that could cause it. Unbelievable. Debs x

Leesa said...

Good morning, Debs! I find it unbelievable that women could put something on their bodies that goes DIRECTLY into the mouths of their babes! Creams contain soooo many different types of chemicals anyways. I guess if the cream doesn't come with a warning or special directions, then people don't think about it. I am soo glad that they discovered this and put a stop to the cream! How terrifying to all parents!! It just shocks me me... but there are sooo many products that contain harmful chemicals that we ourselves ingest without really knowing that the chemicals are contained in the products... For instance, last year, my hubby and I watched a report about soda canning. Cans are fabricated and prepared for the soda... and before the sode is put into the can, the cans are sprayed on the inside with a vernis (I think this means varnish or polish). I NEVER in a million years would have thought of this if I hadn't seen it, but can you imagine if you were a regular soda drinker and you ingest this chemical each time you drink a can of soda??? YIKKKEESS!! Just imagine how BAD that is for the body! I'm sure plastic isn't much better, too! We're pretty screwed as humans living in an industrial world... pros/cons... Yes! But instances of cancer and other diseases/maladies are surely on the rise!! Sorry that this is Sunday a.m.s topic.. We're off to the marche' now to get our pesticide-laden produce!! Bon dimache!! : ) Leese

The Lehners in France said...

Leesa, my Dad was a mechanic and always kept a bottle of Coca-Cola in the garage, to help derust nuts and bolts, have you seen what happens to a 5 centime piece if you drop it in coke. I think we are all slowly but surely killing ourselves. On that note I'm off to double the size of my potager. Bon Dimanche a vous aussi. Debs x

Leesa said...

Debs, I have never tried that experiment but I am SURE that the coke takes off the coating of the centime... I used to float raisins in 7-Up as a science exper. but that's a different thing... I know that the carbonation in soda depletes the bones of calcium... but I have never been a real soda drinker, myself... I just think it's inadmissable what companies and industries are allowed to do to food/health products that have ill effects on humans..

naturelle said...

Sometimes when you start nursing your nipples crack and you are in deep pain. You may even bleed... Then some nurses tell you that if you use x or y product, it may help.
I mean, the pain is really deep, you can feel chills from so much pain.
I was advised to use a gel (I forgot the name). I remember it was in a purple tube but can't remember the name. I was concerned about my baby swallowing that stuff but on the other hand, the pain was so deep!
Some weeks later another nurse told me that the best "product" to sooth painfull nipples when you start breastfeeding is your own milk.
I tried it, it works better than the gel ....

About the cream on your story... I wonder if it's yet another "made in China" product.....

Leesa said...

Hi Naturelle-
Thanks for sharing that story... I had NOOOO idea that women's nipple's get that sore from breastfeeding... I think that is one thing all my gfs with babies forgot to mention to me! I always asked a lot of questions, too!! I am glad that nature's best remedy was a natural one!! Hallelujah!! I wouldn't be surprised to learn the cream was made en Chine. I have very little faith in a lot of products from there.... YIKKESS!!!