April 4, 2008

Baseball caps ...


are worn by millions of Americans. Personally, ce n'est pas mon truc, et je ne les aime pas! But still... there are millions of people who like baseball caps!! Peu importe... Here's a little analogy to wrack your brain (kidding). Baseball caps are to Americans as berets are to _________. (Did you guess French, par hasard?). Oki, if you did, can you please tell me kindly, where are those millions of French folk sportin' their berets? I have not seen one single person in Paris wearing a beret! Could it be that the merchants who sell tourist items are perpetuating this beret thing? Let's expel the myth now...
French people don't wear berets. Vrai ou faux?

3 comments:

David said...

I do see a lot of people wearing berets in Paris...

Usually they're American teenage girls (trying to look French of course)... Sometimes they're British...

I never know if I should laugh or cry when I see them...

There are French people wearing berets though, they usually live in the countryside in the South West (remember the beret's real name is the "beret basque", that could be a hint of its provenance), they're men, and they're more than 70 years old..

Who knew there were common points with old French country men and teenage American girls?

The Lehners in France said...

Big Fat FAUX. I spotted six beret wearing Dordogne Pixies this morning all stood admiring the newly delivered tomato plants in the Co-Operative. David you are right about the South West, but I do know men in their 30's who wear them too. Maybe the American Teens are on their way down here, it won't do their maths any good though coz no-one has the same number of fingers and toes to count on!

Leesa said...

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. I actually remember something about hats and old french men... but I thought it was a different style of hat that the old guys wear in the south. I do imagine people buying berets as souvenirs from their trip to Paris, it's enevitable. That's a funny analogy, though...


Hi Deb, Bienvenue and thanks for making your way over to my blog. It's always great to meet fellow bloggers!! Thanks for your input, too... Stop in again anytime! Ciao, Leesa : )