March 27, 2008

When I lived in San Diego...

I really miss San Diego as a city and for the amount of things there are to do there. Don't get me wrong, though... I LOVE living in France, being just outside of Paris, yet being close enough! There are some many wonderful things about France itself, it's a beautiful country and I have seen much more of it than my own country. What I think I miss more about San Diego are the typical things I did everyday... like... my morning stop at Peets in Hillcrest before going to work, stopping off at Whole Foods to grab a salad for lunch, again to Peets for an afternoon coffee and then off to the gym (24 hour fitness) where I would do my cardio on the machines, spin class and then yoga! Then over to Little Italy in the evening to sit and chat with friends at Cafe' Italia! I had sooo many places to hang out- wherever I went, I would always see people I knew, who had become friends over the months of being at the same place at the same time... I knew almost everyone who worked at the Peets and Starbucks in town, as well as all the local merchants who worked in the places I frequented. Anywhere I went, I could converse with people- whether it was brief or in-depth! I do really miss this aspect about San Diego. I haven't found that here and I am not sure it exists for me, unless I went and frequented the local bar where "regulars" can be found quite easily- if you like hanging out with old men!! I also miss my stores- Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Henry's! I could stroll for countless hours in Whole Foods, just wandering down the aisles, discovering interesting products. Then, of course, there is Target- I like to say - Tarjay, with a French accent! If I was at home and bored on a Friday or Saturday night, I would up and decide to head over to the nearby Target and shop- how fun!!! I was part of the "Last Call, Target shoppers," because I was there 'til the very end of the night! One thing that I REALLY REALLY miss about San Diego is the dance scene!!! I used to frequent a club called, Cafe' Sevilla, in Downtown San Diego. Well, you might say it was my first home, and my second home was my actual apartment. I was at Sevilla more than my apart., going out almost everynight- even alone, and dancing to the beat of Rock en Espanol and Samba on Sundays! At Cafe' Sevilla, we had Brasilaian night every Sunday and I would go every week- religiously- and see all of my friends there.. It was like one big family! I really miss all of those things...So I am really excited to be going "back home" again soon... I shouldn't say, "back home" because France is now my home but San Diego will always have a special place reserved in my heart!

2 comments:

barbara said...

Hi Leesa,
You are waxing really nostaligic before your big trip ! Wow, you had your little rituals and habits just down pat.
I just know that you & Alex will be out & about everyday, seeing the special people of the past.

Wait t'il your friends see you at all your favo spots !

XO to ya

Jennie said...

Ooh, I have always wanted to go to San Diego!!! If I ever move back to the US, that's where I want to live.