March 29, 2008

Up early today!I

I got up at the crack of dawn this morning... at 6:10 am! I am making cupcakes for one of my students who is having her b-day party today! I whipped out my bag of Better Crocker, super moist fudge cake mix, that I my step mom sent in a care package several months ago. Just curious... does anyone who lives in France and who bakes a lot, find there is a difference in the moistness of cake here vs. that of the cakes in the U.S.?? I am not not a big cake fan myself, but I have noticed how the cake mixes here are pretty dry when baked... Not counting the one takes almost liquid in the middle... just regular cake mixes.... I was thinking that it may have something to do with all of the artificial ingredients or emulsifiers they put in the American cake mixes, so if you know any better than I, please get back to me on this one. I am sure that for some folks, it doesn't make a difference, but I have baked a lot of cakes/cupcakes in my lifetime and just wanted to if there was anyone else there has noticed, too... Thanks a bunch!!

2 comments:

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Blogger David said...

For once I don't know the answer... ;-)
But it's a no-brainer that American cake mixes have to be more processed and more full or additive... As a matter of fact I didn't even know there were such a thing as French cake mixes... (and I always used the example of US cake mix as an example of what's wrong with American cooking... whoops...)...

On a slightly different topic, in Florida I knew this baker, who had learned his job in France and who was aware that his baguettes were not as good as French ones (but his American costumers didn't really see the difference), and he told me that it was because of the difference in moisture between French and American flours and stuff like that...

So it might be the same thing for your cakes...

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

I think that the processing has a lot to do with the texture/moistness since it's tested and tried in labs before marketing the product. I do know that bread back in San Diego is NOTHING like the bread in France. Whole Foods came pretty close, with their freshly baked breads but there's nothing like a warm baguette fresh out of the oven... Mmmmmmm! I think that is why the people here have a certain fondness for breaking off the end of the baguette as the head home. It's a wonder that the baguette even makes it all the way home!!