October 26, 2007

Generlow Wilson FREE!!!



Several months ago, Genarlow Wilson was not optimistic Georgia courts would ever rule in his behalf. Interviewed in June at the Burruss Correctional Training Center in Forsyth, he pondered his chances."I'm really praying for the best, but at the same time I'm expecting the worst," he said.Genarlow Wilson smiles Friday after being released from jail after almost three years. If he had pled guilty, he would have been on the sex offender registry for life. On Friday, Wilson got the best. He won his freedom after the Georgia Supreme Court ruled that "... Wilson's sentence is grossly disproportionate to his crime and constitutes cruel and unusual punishment under both the Georgia and the United States Constitutions."
I cannot tell you how HAPPY I am for this young man to be FINALLY freed from prison. I remember the story when it happened and it just sickened me to NO end what they charged him with at age 17. He had been imprisoned for nearly THREE years and was released today after the Georgia Supreme Court ruled his sentence amount to cruel and usual punishment! I have been PRAYING for this man since his incarceration and I am sure that my sentiment is shared with many others... He was a star athlete in high school with a 3.2 GPA and on his way to university!!

2 comments:

KJ said...

First of all, thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your California comments. I am so glad to hear that most of you friends have returned safely to structures that survived the blazes! I pray for those whom you have not heard from.

I am not in harms way, but at one time I was surrounded by 16 fires. The air quality is still very bad. I have friends in the local San Bernardino mountains who are just a few miles from a large fire; however, they can't smell the smoke because of wind's direction. That fire is still raging and they haven't been evacuated at this point.

Also, I just read about Generlow yesterday. What an answer to prayer! It is difficult to understand why this unjust situation was not prevented in the first place! Praise God that justice prevailed!

Lastly, it looks like you have a beautiful life over there! I am a softie for the French language and culture (just look at my bedroom.) It sounds like you are one happy woman!

Best Blessings,
KJ
California

Jennie said...

I was so astonished by that story when I read it. I couldn't believe he spent 3 years in jail!! Then I remembered how religious and intolerant the south can be... I do not miss that part of the US. Sometimes it can be a third world country too!