August 16, 2007

Green cards to the U.S.A.


All over the metros are huge poster ads like this one... Enticing French citizens who may be interested in living and working in the good ol' U.S. of A. Apparently there are about 55,000 of these "green cards" to be given out and all one needs to do is to fill out some paperwork... WOW!!! Sounds a lot easier than what we all had to do to become legal residents here! Well, I actually don't know that for a fact... I didn't call the number to find out what was necessary... But with all the immigration problems in the U.S., I didn't realized they were recruiting here in France... Is this something NEW? I am stumped... Why would the French give up their pain (bread), fine transportation system, and wonderful health care system to head over to the U.S. where SF (Stupid Fool) still reigns??? If anyone French reads this, I am interested in your perspective... If any of my expat friends here in France has any ideas, I would love to know, as well...

5 comments:

Samantha said...

Yep, the lottery system has existed for a long time - you do have to pay something like a $40-50 application fee, and I think the number of spots available are fixed per country. (Thanks for the email btw!!)

And why would a French person go to the US? It's the land of opportunity, especially for young people. There, they can actually find a job, and a well-paid one at that. Being motivated pays over there, while here, all the motivation in the world will not get you a promotion if you don't have the right diploma. Not to mention American salaries are so much higher than they are here in France - all of that can be très attirant for un jeune français!

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Thanks for the info Sam! I know what you mean about the motivation factor and higher salaries!!! I wonder HOW MANY French people emigrate each year to the US..... Leesa

Aiyah Nonya said...

Hi ! I came across your blog while blog hopping. Great site. I can have a glimpse of a world far away from this little corner where I am.
Have a lovely weekend.

Sarah said...

I spent a year in Dallas, TX with my French husband (now ex-) and everyone assumed we would try and stay there. When we looked at them in surprise and asked why on earth we would want to stay in the US when we lived in France, they were just gobsmacked. Afterall, EVERYONE wants to live in the US...

Actually, I love living in France despite the frustrations. However, I think my boys will probably have to work elsewhere and maybe come back later. They are still young so maybe things will change...

Maylis & Hugh said...

Yes, I wanted to experience life in the US! Thanks to my husband's work this was made possible, but I am more than a little surprised by the poster you photographed... I know how difficult it is to get a visa, and the number of green cards given to French citizens every year via the lottery is very very low indeed...