May 17, 2007

An Ode to a Hedgehog.... Bless his soul!


I am not a promoter of showing dead creatures... but this big little guy was the very first hedgie I have seen here in France.. I spotted him lying there while we were on our walk in the neighbourhood.. I used to have the MOST wonderful pet hedgehog for almost 5 years back in San Diego until she died of oral cancer (which I found out is pretty common in hedgies because of their eating habits while in captivity). I hope that one day we will be able to have our own hedgie among the numberous other animals I dream of having as pets... For many years, back in San Diego, my apt. was a managerie of small exotic animals.. I had two snakes, two tokay geckos (running loose in the apt), a hedgie, four chinchillas, 2 cockteils, a millipede from Madagascar, and even a wild scorpian that a former student gave to me.. It didn't live to long in captivity though! You now have an idea about my love for animals.. They have always been a HUGE part of my life... since I was a small child, I have always had strange pets....

No comments: